This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
Essay Theme: A Letter to Myself from 2030
Imagine what an ideal world ten years from now would be like. Write a letter from yourself in 2030 to your present (2020) self, in which you describe the state of the world, the way people are living, and what you, yourself, are doing in society. In addition, include any important message that you might wish to tell your present self.
Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2020) in one of the following age categories:
Children (ages up to 14)
Youth (ages 15 – 25)
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
First Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of Feb. 2020) … 1 entrant. First prize winner will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan in November 2020 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
Second Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of Feb. 2020) and gift
Third Prize: Certificate and gift
Additional Awards: Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award will be given if applicable
All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2020 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2020.
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page.
- Essays may be typed or printed.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
- To submit your essay online, fill the registration form to create an account.
Check the FAQ section for more information. For further enquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org